Helping you understand the latest National Construction Code updates.
On the 1st of May 2023 a new update to the National Construction Code (NCC) came into effect. This is a government requirement for all new homes to meet a minimum energy efficiency rating of 7 stars. We know that changes can be daunting, but we’re here to help you understand the recent updates, and what they mean for you and your new home build.
What changes are happening, and why?
The Australian Government has recently updated the National Construction Code, which will require all new homes in NSW to meet a minimum energy efficiency rating of 7 stars under the Nationwide House Energy Rating Scheme (NatHERS).
These changes are being driven by the government to reduce carbon emissions and make homes more sustainable for the future.
Who will this change affect?
Whilst these changes came into effect on the 1st of May, it’s important to note that any new home build with contracts exchanged before the 1st of October 2023 will be exempt from these new requirements, as long as a Development Application (DA) or Complying Development Certificate (CDC) is also submitted by the 30th of June 2024.
What impact will this have on your new home build?
At Rawson Communities, we have tested our most popular designs to understand what changes are required to meet a 7 star rating. Some of the notable changes are:
- 2.49kW solar power with every home
- Increasing the insulation rating or extending insulation into new areas (e.g.slab edge, underneath the joists, garage walls, internal walls)
- Double glazed windows to selected windows or all windows in the home
- LED lights
On a positive note, these updates mean you’ll build a better-quality home while also contributing to a cleaner environment and more sustainable future. Your new home will:
- Be more energy efficient, allowing you to enjoy savings on energy bills every year
- Be able to maintain an even indoor temperature year-round due to improved insulation avoiding heating and cooling leakages
- Be less reliant on air-conditioners and heaters
- Have a reduced environment footprint due to the use of renewable energy